Back in September when I first launched Twin Love Concierge I had the pleasure of being a NYC Twin expert ‘Guest Blogger’ for Women Making Moves – a wonderful blog showcasing the diversity of outstanding women across communities, businesses and careers. Here’s a preview, for the full story see – http://womenmakingmoves.com/twins-mean-big-business/
Guest blogger Shannon O’Reilly-Fearn shares how she turned her role as mom to twins into a full-fledged business.
“Twins?? My goodness, I don’t know how you do it, you must get a lot of help right?!!”
Hearing these words over and over from complete strangers since I had my identical twin girls over 17 months ago, I realised one day that I needed to start a company banishing this myth that twins are impossible and with that Twin Love Concierge was born – a twin exclusive consulting company created to help new and expectant moms and dads by alleviating the stress before the multiples arrive. I focus on helping those moms on bed rest as it’s so common on multiple births unfortunately.
My services are specialised per Twin Family, essentially they range from advising on baby gear you actually need with twins, how to setup home and nursery for their arrival, what to expect if the babies need a NICU stay and preparing Mommy for the big day and weeks afterward. In saying this, I am also a Stay-at-Home-Mom to my girls, so I try and balance my day so that the girls have all the Mommy they need and I then work during nap and sleep times.
My advice to Moms who are business owners, you can definitely manage a business and young baby/babies, it just requires perseverance. My top tips to keep the balance include:
1. Keep a schedule – know when you need to take the kids out to the park, set a window to do any household jobs so that you don’t get overburdened.
2. Set a Mommy time each day that you can assign to work and try and keep to this as much as possible.
3. Know that some days are not going to work, kids get sick, Moms get tired – life happens.
4. Know the market you are looking to get into back to front and inside out, research research research.
5. Work your contacts, shout-out to all your friends family and ask for support, especially on social media, you’d be surprised at how much people get behind you, its life-changing!
6. Make sure you and your Partner are on the same page, life will be a bit hectic when you are first launching so co-parenting will be essential if that’s an option.
7. Finally be proud of yourself, Women are fantastic multitaskers, so just thinking about it is enough to smile.